[CentOS] qmail on CentOS 4.4

Tue Feb 6 02:37:51 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Will McDonald wrote:

>> <flame war>
>> So... the patch upgrades qmail to postfix?
>>
>> /runs
>
> Meeeoow! :)
>
> I HAVE to run Qmail because it's a legacy requirement. If I could find
> something with similar virtual domain and Maildir support (and for all
> I know Postfix or Exim may provide these) and a nice transition path
> I'm stuck with it.

Doesn't everything do virtual domains these days?  Sendmail has had them
for ages, although perhaps not quite the same way.  And everything that
can use procmail for delivery (the default for sendmail in Centos) can
deliver to maildirs.

> And let me throw in to the ring, there's a nicely RPM packaged Qmail
> package conglomerate at http://www.qmailtoaster.com/ And we all know
> that packages are the way ahead, right? :)
>
> Complete with CentOS instructions
> http://www.qmailtoaster.com/centos/cnt40/EZ-QmailToaster-CentOS-4.3.txt
>
> Personally, I hack around with the SPECs before building to strip out
> the MySQL and other features and just use Qmail listening on localhost
> only for the very final Maildir delivery after messages have been
> dealt with by MailScanner and Sendmail, then Courier and VPOPMail for
> POP3 and IMAP.

It's a very bad idea to let an unmodified qmail accept mail directly
since it accepts all addresses, then later generates bounces to the ones
that it can't deliver.  A dictionary attack will bury your outbound queue.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com