[CentOS] imap pop3 servers -- SOLVED

Tue Feb 6 13:40:10 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Doc Schneider wrote:

> I guess I should have posted back to the list that I did end up using
> Dovecot and also configured and am using SMTP AUTH. The users who are on
> this new server used to use pop before SMTP but that ended up being a
> real pain to get going for Dovecot.
>
> I just have a couple issues or could be non-issues to work out trying to
> get Sendmails SMTP AUTH to pass off spam to SpamAssassin without
> generating a authenication failure. Although it does appear to be
> handing off the spam to SA. At least, I'm seeing these errors in the
> maillog but also am seeing spam being caught. So like I said it could be
> a non-issue.
>
> FWIW: I'm using the Dovecot that comes packaged with CentOS 4.4 64 bit.

You might want to look at http://www.mimedefang.com.  It is an email
scanner that runs as a sendmail milter and uses your choice of spam and
virus scanning tools.  As a milter, it can tell if sendmail's connection
was authenticated or used ssl, plus it can reject as a result of the
scan during the smtp conversation.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com