[CentOS] What is the diffrence between port filtering and packet filtering ?

Wed Feb 7 22:39:27 UTC 2007
mouss <mlist.only at free.fr>

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to set up a firewall on CentOS 4.4.
>
> I wnat to know the diiffrence between port filtering and packet
> filtering ?

useless terminology. only marketeers insist on this. most firewalls
nowadays do all kind of filtering.

I guess the meaning would be:
- port filtering: block/open TCP/UDP ports
- packet filtering: block/open based on IP addresses, IP protocol,
ports, ... etc.

> Can iptables do both?
yes.

> Is there another pkg better than this? if so, pls let me know.
>
> The purpose of this is to setup a firewall for production use.

depends on your situation. if you don't have performance issues and no
special configuration needs, then a low end commercial firewall would be
enough. otherwise, you need to take the time to learn iptables, or find
someone to help you build your firewall.

there are guis available. google is your friend. one that comes to mind
now is fwbuilder.