[CentOS] Slow clock on CentOS 4.4 in a VMware VM

Thu Feb 8 14:52:54 UTC 2007
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Feb 7, 2007, at 9:47, Scott McClanahan wrote:

> NTP is not supposed to be running on your vm's.  Instead, you leverage
> vmware tools and use the vmware-toolbox to enable time synchronization
> between the guest vm and the host.  Also clock=pit is the recommended
> boot parameter.

Just to follow up, my VM was running all night long and was less than
a minute behind this morning.  Not as good as running NTP, but
definitely better than losing 45 seconds every minute.  I think the
key was to enable time synchronization between the guest and the
host, which for some reason was not enabled by default.

Thanks again for all the help,
Alfred