[CentOS] What is the diffrence between port filtering and packet filtering ?

Fri Feb 9 07:07:37 UTC 2007
Jordi Espasa Clofent <jordi.listas at yahoo.es>

> When it comes to BSD which BSD Free bsd or OpenBSD.
>
> I have used Free BSD 6.  I think PF was originally came with Open BSD.
> But It has been already assed to Free BSD port tree.
>
> So, Which Should I use?
>
> Iptables with linux or PF with Open BSD or Free BSD.
>
> help needed.

It's always the same: the best solution is the best solution for you
particular case. So, you can build your fw in Linux (iptables) as much
as BSD (pf, ie).
Personally I think the pf (packet filter) sintaxis is more clear than
iptables sintaxis, but only IMHO. Only you have the correct answer.