[CentOS] alternative to rocks cluster

Fri Feb 9 19:08:03 UTC 2007
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

> One thing I have NOT figured out is the limitation of having one
> front-end, which is a single source of failure for accessing the
> cluster.

That is my main issue with Rocks as well.  That and the fact that you
have to have a private and a public network (which although a good
idea, not always desirable).

Back to the original poster, are you looking for a way to rebuild the
nodes automatically, remotely, and completely hands off, or just
merely to rebuild them quickly?  I only deal with a couple of dozen
nodes (not hundreds), and using kickstart and storing the config
files on the server allows me to rebuild a node in about 15 minutes,
of which only the first minute or two requires my attention and
physical presence.  I wrote a simple Perl script that generates the
kickstart file for each node.

Alfred