[CentOS] Intel 3000 and 5000 chipsets?

Fri Feb 9 23:19:42 UTC 2007
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 at 3:16pm, Alfred von Campe wrote

> On Feb 9, 2007, at 14:59, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
>> The one caveat was that while the stock e1000 driver will somewhat work
>> with the onboard NICs, it'll randomly decide to stop moving packets about.
>> An upgrade to the most recent driver from Intel (7.3.20) fixed that.
>
> I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I've been meaning to ask this
> question for a while now.  I suspect that the e1000 driver in CentOS 4.4 is
> the culprit for at least some of the strange hangs I have been seeing.  What
> is the recommended way to install the latest e1000 driver on a CentOS system?

Well, I don't know about recommended, but what I do is:

o Download driver from intel.com
o unpack and compile (a simple make in the src/ directory works)
o cd /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/
o mv e1000.ko e1000.inst
o cp /path/to/newly/compiled/e1000.ko .
o depmod -a
o reboot

I'm sure someone will now post a far more elegant solution.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering