[CentOS] SquidGuard

Sat Feb 10 12:29:17 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

dan1 wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Has anyone here use SquidGuard for their Squid proxy
>> running in CentOS4.4 to block list of bad sites? Is
>> the RPM available using yum? Any feedback using this
>> software appreciated. Thank you very much.
>>
>> junji
>

> You also have http://dansguardian.org which is a very powerful blocker,
> and also scans all pages for bad words. Therefore it works much better
> than only relying on blocklists.
> It also exists as RPM for CentOS 4.
> Free for non commercial use only.
> Give it a try!

I evaluated dansguardian and found it interferred to much with _my_
browsing, which I don't think anyone would find objectionable. The
problem with blocking on bad words is that whether they're objectional
depends on the context: calling a file a bastard is perfectly correct,
calling your friend a bastard, even a black bastard might be okay, but
you would rightly be offended if I said you are. Even if your paresnts
are unmarried.

And then there cultural differences; I once described someone as, like
me, being penurious and he was highly offended. The head meaning I found
in an American dictionary doesn't even appear in at least one common
dictionary here.

So "bastard" and "penurious" may be in Dan's dictionary of bad words,
and if so I've probably used enough bad words for this document to be
cesored by DansGuardian.

Then there are those who might be offended at being called a dog, a
monkey, a swine, a dingo, a bum.

I've decided fron-ending google to enforce safe search and blocking
other popular search enginss such as Yahoo, Microsoft will do for
limiting the subjects one can research. Now, if our kids search for sex
they'll find socially-accepted information about sex; searching for
horticultural info won't return responses directed to pot, coco and such.

Chat rooms are still a problem. We block them as we find them.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait