[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 4.3 to 4.4 offline

Tue Feb 13 11:12:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 07:38 +0000, Jura Ernest wrote:
> How can I upgrade to CentOS 4.4 from 4.3 if I have no internet
> connection? Are there upgrade files I can download and use on the
> offline comp?

You can upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 (without the extra updates) by
downloading the applicable DVD and using it in a dvd player.

Make sure the dvd is mounted ... and then upgrade to the new centos-
release that is on the DVD in this path:

/media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/

(may also be in /media/cdrecord/)

Once you see which you have (/media/cdrom or /media/cdrecorder) you can
go there and do this command:

ls

If that contains a CentOS directory, you are mounted.  If it does not,
mount the DVD with this command:

mount /media/cdrom
(or /media/cdrecorder as applicable ... if necessary, substitute
cdrecorder from now on for cdrom ... I will just use /media/cdrom from
this point forward)

This is the command to upgrade centos-release:

rpm -Uvh /media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/centos-release

Once the new centos-release is installed you can upgrade to the 4.4
release with this command:

yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=c4-media upgrade

That will upgrade you to the 4.4 release ... it will not upgrade you to
all the updates released on top of 4.4 (everything since August 2006).

If you want those also, you will need to download the "arch(es)" that
you need from here and stick it on the machine OR a webserver that the
machine has access to:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/

You would then need to create a new repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ that
points to that new update repo.

IF you can not use a DVD, you need to get the 4 CDs and copy all the
files from them into a directory on the machine in question ... then
create a repo file that points to them at that directory (just like with
the updates directory above).  This is because the yum in CentOS-4 can
not read from multiple CDs for a repo.

See the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo for an example of how to
use the file:/// in baseurl for a yum repo file.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes