[CentOS] Motherboard + 3ware 9650SE suggestions

Tue Feb 13 14:52:18 UTC 2007
David Thompson <thomas at cs.wisc.edu>

"Andrew Cotter" wrote:
>Hello everyone!
>
>Working on putting a storage server together and wanted to get some input as
>to what motherboards have been working for people with the 3ware 9650SE-12ML
>raid board.  This is large, bulk storage, 2-tier stuff.  This will not be
>used for realtime editing of video or something, but a gig nic is almost a
>given I hope.
>
>I have an AMD chip available (AM2 slot) but I can get a new chip if needed.

There was a recent thread about this, when I asked the same question.  Check the archives.  We're running 9650 on intel, so I can't be much help on AM2 motherboards.

Maybe you can use a PCIe x16 video slot on AM2; not on intel.

Unless you need raid 6, or PCI express, the 9550 (PCI-X) would also be a good choice (and IIRC doesn't require a driver replacement for CentOS 4.4).

With the driver you download from 3ware, the 9650 works "real good."

Cheers,

Dave Thompson
UW-Madison