[CentOS] [Semi-OT] Advice on large webmail setup

Fri Feb 16 07:36:22 UTC 2007
Jure Pečar <pegasus at nerv.eu.org>

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:21:18 -0500 (EST)
wattersm at liquidweb.com wrote:

> Considering that distros are moving away from resierfs and its future is
> uncertain I would avoid it if possible.  I've also lost a few volumes
> because of reiserfs so I don't trust it.  XFS or JFS perform just as well
> or even better, ext3 with the right options is also just as fast according
> to recent benchmarks.

And what were they benchmarking?

Remember, always benchmark with your application. Recent reports from cyrus mailing lists indicate that ext3  is still not up to the task, dirhash and journal tweaking included.

As others already suggested, using NetApp and NFS with courier or dovecot (cyurs has issues with NFS) is an option to avoid all this linux fs mess. If your budget can afford it :)

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org