[CentOS] Event scheduling

Fri Feb 16 16:24:07 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
> Sure I understand that, but If I wanted it to be within 15 seconds
> response, I'd have to check 4times x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours
> per day.  Kind of a waste for a file that may or may not be transmitted
> each day.

Usually any machine that can handle actually doing a job will have no
problem with the work checking and not doing it the rest of the time...
If you are concerned about it, a stat() is pretty cheap compared to
starting a program to do it, so you might write a long-running program
to monitor for a new file or a timestamp change instead of starting one
every few seconds.  If you really want a file-event driven interface you
might look at dazuko.  http://www.dazuko.de/faq.shtml

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com