[CentOS] ASUS M2V mobo issues

Fri Feb 16 20:14:07 UTC 2007
Ed Burgstaler <edb at wilson.ca>

Nice to know ... thanks for posting.

  _____

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of David Baker
Sent: February 16, 2007 1:22 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] ASUS M2V mobo issues

We have 4 systems supported by ASUS M2V mobos with AMD2 cpus on board.  No
we haven't gotten CentOS of any flavor to work yet.  Yes, we did load Fedora
Core 6 and it worked, with respect to the SATA driver only.  There is a
RAID, Audio and LAN driver for Linux that comes on the M2V mobo CD. The
audio driver installs and works fine on FC6.  I've read many of the messages
with respect to setting up the LAN driver.  We've had the best success with
the 1.0.4.x Attansic driver being provided by Jay Cliburn (kernel 2.6.18.x).
He has been very helpful with this.  He has a 2.x driver which doesn't
appear to work with the 2.6.18 kernel and we haven't gotten any LAN driver
to work with the 2.6.19 upgrade so we've fallen back to the FC6 2.6.18.x
kernel for now.  I took someone's advice and downloaded the bios flash app
and tried that approach.  I immediately toasted the BIOS chip.  I called
ASUS in Louisville, KY and they advised that I get a new BIOS chip.  The
conversation seemed to indicate this was not a new phenomenon.  I ordered a
new chip for each machine with their newest BIOS.  I inserted a new chip in
one of the systems and fired it up.  Low and behold, the chip is not an MV2
BIOS as before, but an American Megatrends BIOS (2.45.x).  It works much
better and there are more appropriate settings in the BIOS now for ACPI.
The plug and play drivers in CentOS 4.4 may work better with this BIOS as
well since there are no onboard LAN settings in the BIOS setup.  I'm hoping
this means I can use CentOS on these systems now.  I'll keep you posted.

If you contact the http://helpdesk.asus.com <http://helpdesk.asus.com/>  and
call their tech support (ext 3).  They'll put you in touch with a gal who
will ship you the new chip for 5 bucks (5 to 10 day ground).  I think it's
worth it, so far.

David Baker