[CentOS] CentOS 4.4-IBM Netvista Performace Problems, help needed.

Sun Feb 18 16:52:37 UTC 2007
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 08:52 -0500, Chuck Mattern wrote:
> I've got an odd situation that I need some advise on.  I have two
> computers that I am planning to use as a cluster.  I initially started
> with some left over Compaq Presairos with 667MHz CPUs.  I loaded CentOS
> 4.3 and later updated to 4.4.  Things ran normally, albeit slowly.  I
> had an opportunity to upgrade to a pair of IBM Netvistas with 2.26 GHz
> CPUs, I did this by transferring the 160GB Western Digital IDE disks and
> NICs but did not re-install the OS, just migrated the disks.  Since then
> they have had the following symptoms:
>
> -Systems frequently boot faster than the disks can be spun up and have
> to be soft booted to recognize and boot from the disks.

I doubt this is related, but I had a similar situation with a couple
brand new disks that I installed. Thought I would mention, JIC. Us older
folks used to store unused jumpers on pins on the HDS. A ground-to-
ground connection never did any harm. I used this same scheme on the new
disks. The bootable master had no problems. The secondary on IDE-2 did
exactly what you described. One day I got sick of it, popped it out,
noted that the pins were "undocumented" and removed the jumper.

Problem solved. *sigh* Back to Scotch taping spare caps to the HD case
and replacing the deteriorated tape every once-in-a-while.

Anyway, could you have a similar situation that is causing some long-
term effect that I did not see (either it wasn't there or my load didn't
cause it to become noticeable or I am unobservant).

<snip>

HTH
--
Bill