[CentOS] Event scheduling

Mon Feb 19 10:25:22 UTC 2007
Chris Geldenhuis <cgeldenhuis at jhb.ullmanns.co.za>

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
> Okay, I know about 'cron' and 'at', but how do you schedule jobs
> (scripts) based on events.
>
> For instance:  Run script xyz when file abcd.efg arrives via ftp?
>
> TIA,
>
> Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
> Systems Programmer; MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
> American Income Life Insurance Company
> Phone: (254) 761-6649     Fax: (254) 741-5777

Hi Frank,

We handle this scenario by having a cron job running a script
periodically (every few minutes). This script first checks whether the
file is present before trying to process it.

Where multiple files are transferred, we send an empty "marker" file at
the end of the transmission cycle. The above script then checks for the
presence of this marker, processes the transferred files if it is
present and deletes it at the end of the processing cycle.

We transfer several thousand files between servers per day using this
technique - with very few problems.

Contact me off-list if you require assistance in setting this up.

Chris Geldenhuis