[CentOS] php version 4.4 / ez publish

Tue Feb 20 12:11:38 UTC 2007
Peter Farrell <peter.d.farrell at gmail.com>

RE:
> Installing items from source is bad on an RPM based system

That's simply not correct.
I've got a farm of 'rpm' based RedHat and RedHat derivatives. Big deal.
If I set up a cluster of web servers that need an odd version of PHP (which
I do);

1. Apache, PHP and MySQL will not be installed willy-nilly - each base
machine will be the bare minimum install.
2. Each install will be very site specific regarding the flags you use to
install them - for example apache2:
\"'--prefix=/usr/local/apache2' '--with-mpm=prefork' '--enable-ssl'
'--enable-setenvif' '--enable-proxy' '--enable-proxy-http'
'--disable-charset-lite' '--disable-include' '--disable-env'
'--disable-status' '--disable-autoindex' '--disable-asis' '--disable-cgi'
'--disable-negotiation' '--disable-imap' '--disable-actions'
'--disable-userdir' '--disable-alias' '--disable-so'\"

You don't get a secure system with that sort of granularity by blindly using
RPM's from some repo.
For our systems that need PHP 4.4 - we install to /usr/local (where it can
happily co-exist with an RPM version of PHP 5) precisely because you can
compile it against specific versions of Apache and MySQL. When you want to
apply security updates - you subscribe to the security list for a particular
product and review the patches as they come out - if you need one then
re-compile and you're away.

We rely on repos primarily to upgrade the security patches for all packages
on a given machine. In any case, for the non-rpm ones we can do that on a
per-case basis.

The small amount of time lost on manually upgrading (which to be fair are
far and few between) is nothing to the sort of control
available to you when you compile the package from scratch. RPM and gcc
aren't' mutually exclusive.

-Peter