[CentOS] php version 4.4 / ez publish

Tue Feb 20 13:47:20 UTC 2007
Peter Farrell <peter.d.farrell at gmail.com>

Fine. Fair point regarding the generality of simplicity and systems
management
for newer users.

I'll leave it at that.

However - re: the guy installing openssl and having issues.

My point still stands:
I had a few RH9 machines still chugging away - I needed to install
Apache 1.3 w/ ssl (which means you have to compile everything from the
openssl src folder and point to your apache src, etc.)
The machine had the rpm version of openssl already installed and
I couldn't remove it as it would break too many deps.

I could still compile Apache 1.3 w/ SSL in /usr/local and not have any
impact
whatsoever on the existing installation. I'm only linking against the libs
in my new openssl dir.
At the end of the day - it's personal preference regarding housekeeping -
but lets
not forget that it's not rocket science - it's a little folder of library
files, they can live anywhere - as long
as you know where they are in order to link against them.

Finally - if your #centos IRC guy wanted to update his version of openssl -
1. the lastest release was Sept. 28 2006 - so I've got to believe that the
current repo's would have this new version.
(a la 'yum update' or 'yum update openssl')
2. If they didn't why couldn't he 'freshen' or 'update' the current rpm with
the latest rpm?

If he doesn't know the difference - sadly he really has no business
whatsoever attempting to manage someones security implementation - much less
the machine it's running on. (newbie or not.)

- All the best
- Peter