[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 on Dell PE 6400 - not rebooting ...

Wed Feb 21 14:16:11 UTC 2007
Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>

Im sure at least one person on this list will reply with "Omg, i have
that same box and have had no problems, you're dumb!!!"

I get it every time I interact with someone from CentOS

-Drew

________________________________

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Kazura
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:09 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] CentOS 4.4 on Dell PE 6400 - not rebooting ...

Hi All,

This is my first post ... I *HAD* been trying to get RHEL AS 4 onto this
Dell PE 6400/700, but it just wouldn't go without some weird tweaking.

I am VERY happy to say that CentOS 4.4 installed without a hitch!
NICELY done folks!

The only real issue for me is that the machine fails to reboot or
shutdown correctly.

It requires physical interaction with the power switch, which certainly
limits remote, headless administration!

A reboot (or shutdown -r now) follows through to " ", but the machine
never restarts - it appears to freeze (num-lock works, key-caps does not
and Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing) - I have to press and hold the power
button to force a restart.

I get similar results with telinit 6 (or init 6).

A shutdown works ever so slightly better, it gets to the " ", and does
not power off the machine, a simple press of the power button does power
it off.

Does ANYONE have ANY ideas?

OR point me in some direction?

Dell support is useless for an unsupported OS.

Machine info:

Dell PowerEdge 6400 quad Xenon 700Mhz CPUs, a Dell PERC/2 card (w/two
RAID 5 containers), an Intel GB net card, and 2GB RAM.

--
| Joe Kazura                                          | Mac OS X ...
| CIS/TCS -- 1 Leavitt Lane    PHONE: +1-603-862-2012 |   Because UNIX
| University of New Hampshire                         |   should be user
| Durham, NH  03824-3512  USA    "docendo discimus"   |   friendly!