[CentOS] problems with greylistd

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Mon Jan 1 13:44:27 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 January 2007 12:15 am, R Lists06 wrote:

> You didn't mention very much about your server and which MTA (among
> other engineering or setup decision things) you are using nor if you
> want to greylistd every connection or selectively etc

I'm not sure any of that matters since the problem is with installing a
self-contained daemon which should just run.

I have discovered an alternative method that works with MySQL and
doesn't require any kind of daemon.  The reason I don't prefer it is
that it doesn't have an automated whitelisting method; I'll have to
write a program to add whitelists.

What would you need/want to know about our servers?  They're fairly
generic 1U systems running CentOS4.  The fact that the RPM installs
without any kind of prereq error says it should work.  Or not?

The MTA is exim.  That can't be changed, as the servers are running the
DirectAdmin control panel (http://www.directadmin.com/), which requires
exim.  DirectAdmin is a wholly-contained compiled C++ program requiring
no dependencies.  But it's intimately connected with the way exim
works.

Once I get greylisting working, I want to greylist selectively, if
possible.  First I just want to get it working <smile>.

And once it works for me I want to make it part of the exim.conf file I
write for DirectAdmin servers, so others can use it.

What other kind of "setup decision things" should be considered?  The
version of Python should be the only dependency, but the RPM shouldn't
have allowed the installation if I'm not running the right Python
version.

<snip>
$ python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Oct 11 2006, 06:18:43)

$
</snip>

After the failed startup (please refer to my log snippet in my previous
post), grepping the ps output shows python2.3 running greylistd...

<snip>
$ ps waux| grep grey
104      11911  0.0  0.3  8936 3932 ?        S     2006
0:00 /usr/bin/python2.3 /usr/sbin/greylistd
jlasman   6485  0.0  0.0  4392  676 pts/2    S+   05:36   0:00 grep grey
$
</snip>

So maybe it is running and I should just try to use it?  But I'd think a
daemon should continue to run.  And I don't want to break my incoming
email.  I'm creating a testbed to try it.

> You are a smart guy, did you try searching the web?

Of course, for many hours.  But how do you know I'm smart?  Most of the
time I don't feel that way myself <smile>.

Anyone's help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA  92408