[CentOS] Lost Samba GUI interface

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 18:03:46 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

>> Your best bet is to learn how to edit that file (/etc/samba/smb.conf) by
>> hand.
>>
>> You can test the file for errors with this command (as root) from the
>> command line:
>
> I think Johnny's comments apply to several of the RH configuration
> tools. They're fairly basic and seem to me to be present just so that
> some beancounter can check a box, "Got that: [X]." I have over 20
> system-config-* tools installed; only one (system-config-network) seems
> useful, and the TUI version of that's broken. The LVM and SELinux tools
> might be useful, I've never had their need.

I think webmin is a better approach if you don't want to edit
the files directly, but I haven't used that much either.  What
I'd really like to see is just a syntax checker for every config
file and a scheme to automatically run it *before* killing the
service that won't restart with the bad file.  Webmin is only
so-so at helping you make changes - you basically have to
understand all the choices anyway, but it does keep you from
making stupid typo's like you can in a text editor or things
like putting #'s instead of ;'s as comments in a dns zone file.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com