[CentOS] Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 7 21:06:14 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> My sympathies go out to you. :-)
>

> Actually an RH 7.3 with its last updates is an incredibly solid
> system.  I have a one (firewalled, I don't think I'd trust it
> on the internet) doing quite a bit of work that hasn't been
> rebooted in 3+ years - I've forgotten exactly because the uptime
> counter had a bug and rolls every 497 days.

Mine _is_ the firewall, and it does have some services pointed at the
Internet.

>>> I have never actually tried to do the upgrade but years ago when RHEL
>>> (then
>>> called 2.1AS) was new, I used a 7.3 system to build the 2.1AS rpms. The
>>> biggest problem I had was that some of the 7.3 packages were newer
>>> then the
>>> 2.1AS packages. IIRC 2.1AS was based off of RHL 7.2.
>>>
>>> I suspect that trying to do the upgrade from 7.3 to CentOS2.1,
>>> _might_ leave
>>> you with some packages not up to date.
>>

>> Those I can identify at my leisure and apply a little force to.
>> Possibly, some were new in RHL 7.3.
>

> Is there some reason to use Centos 2.x instead of 3.x?  I don't see
> any showstopper issues between everything I have running on 7.3
> and Centos 3, although I'd probably install from scratch and
> back in my old configs instead of expecting an upgrade to work.

Centos 2.1 is basically RHL 7.2, It should have a good fit for packages,
require _no_ reconfiguration and basically require nothing more than a
litte force to upgrade to some older packages and a watchful eye for new
orphans. I think without checking the GRUB becomes an orphan, but I can
live with that.

--

Cheers
John