[CentOS] Using CentOS 4.4 on very old Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop; would like suggestions regarding using KDE/GNOME in low RAM and low disk situation

Kenneth Wolcott

kennethwolcott at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:27:17 UTC 2007

Hi;

  I'm new to the CentOS list and I only have experience with CentOS 4.3/4.4
on desktops.  I just installed CentOS 4.4 on a very old Dell Inspiron 3500
laptop.  I choose the desktop option and then deleted the kde and gnome
packages because I have only 192mb RAM and 4gb disk (total).  I'd like
suggestions on how to maximize the effective usage of the laptop with CentOS
4.4...as a minimum I want to do secure wireless web browsing.  If KDE or
GNOME needs more disk/RAM than I have available is XCFE the only alternative
to the bleak Motif experience?  I don't have any money to get a better
laptop or to upgrade the RAM and/or disk at this time.

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott