[CentOS] 3ware 9650SE success - D945GTP note

David Thompson

thomas at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 8 20:16:04 UTC 2007

David Thompson wrote:

>I had posted a question recently on this list regarding the new series of
>cards from 3ware, and wanted to follow up with some real-world results.

<snip>

Yes, the 9650SE runs on an Intel D945GTP in the PCIe x16 slot.  However, the
technical reference for the D945GTP motherboard clearly states, on page 61 of
D1407001US-1.pdf, topic 2.8.2.2 "Add-in Card Connectors", (quoted):

"NOTE: The PCI Express x16 connector is configured to support only a PCI
Express x1 link when the Intel GMA950 graphics controller is enabled."

Who me, accuse Intel of artificially crippling their desktop motherboard
performance to boost "$erver" motherboard $ale$?  I wouldn't do that.

For this application, PCIe x1 performance will probably be enough, but anyone
thinking about using intel x16 slots for anything except video may want to
take note.

I'm just glad Intel is reserving the PCIe x16 performance for the screaming
GMA950 on-board video.

Bad Intel.  No biscuit.

Now checking into other vendors,

Dave Thompson