[CentOS] Re: Add new app to repo & db install question

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jan 9 16:58:14 UTC 2007

Todd Reed spake the following on 1/8/2007 9:03 PM:
> I've got two questions that I'm curious about.  One of for the
> maintainers of CentOS and the others is for the community at large.
>

> 1)  At what point does a third party app get rolled into the production
> repository (not sure if I said that correctly)?  Example: At what point
> is it OK for the OS maintainers to adopt a newer version or PHP, MySQL,
> Apache, etc.?
With CentOS, nothing gets rolled into the production repositories unless it is
done at the source( IE... RedHat does it for the upstream product).
The only exceptions are things added to the optional repos, like the CentOS
Plus repo. But these are not enabled by default, and you are warned that it
could (might) break things, and will definitely not be the same as upstream.

> 2)  I have read mixed opinions with how to install a database server.
> Some articles say install it via YUM for compatibility purposes; while
> others say install it from a tar ball or source to ensure other packages
> do not try to upgrade and break the database.  What are your thoughts?
> I plan on running a web server farm for a CMS/DB that needs to have a
> five 9 uptime.
5 9's is the holy grail of system stability. Be prepared to pay for it!
I wouldn't expect five nine's from a free product. Yes, it can be done, but if
you need five nine's, you need to pay for support, and have some top end
hardware! Four nine's is more achievable, and probably a hell of a lot
cheaper! And four nine's adds up to only 52 minutes a year of downtime.Five
nine's is about 7 minutes a year.

 Just like if you want to race at LaMans, you can buy any car, but if you want
to even come close to winning, you need to spend some $$$.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and