[CentOS] Fedora Legacy shutting down

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Wed Jan 10 00:28:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 16:16, Lamar Owen wrote:
> FWIW, I have a few canned binaries in use at one site that require two
> really archaic libs.  One is (wait for it) libc5-based.  Yes, libc-5.3.12,
> last libc5 on RH.  Latest libc5 compat was distributed with RHL6.2.  The
> other is linked against glibc 2.0; it is multithreaded and does not work
> with glibc 2.2 (we have tried; it doesn't work) but it will work with glibc
> 2.1.

If what I remember from the portion of my CS degree that dealt with linkers
and loaders, it should be feasible to take a dynamic executable on the system
it works on and construct a static binary by pulling it apart and rebuilding
it as static (essentially reverse engineering what ld did, and re-running ld
with flags to create it as static).

I'm in no way recommending this manual process, as all I remember from this
small portion of my life is the agonizing dullness of the material, but there
very well may be a tool out there that can do this for you...

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks