[CentOS] hard link a directory

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Jan 12 02:27:08 UTC 2007

That's a symbolic link and it is perfectly fine to symlink directories.

Symbolic links contain the path to the inode, hard links contain the
inode reference itself. Think of hard links like copying the file, but
having the copy point to the same data, if you delete any one of the
hard links the data remains, but if you symlink it and delete the
destination file then you loose the data and the symlink points to
nothing unless you put another file there with the same name. Hard links
cannot be made between files in different file systems, as the inode
referenced in file system 1 will not be the same on file system 2, but
since a symlink is a path to an inode that path can point to a
file/directory on a different filesystem.

-Ross