[CentOS] yum does not download i386 packages on x86_64 Hardware from the centos-4.4 extras repo

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Fri Jan 12 06:02:41 UTC 2007

Kevan Benson wrote:
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 02:20, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed centos-4.4 on x86_64, and I wanted to install nx and freenx
>> from the centos extras. But
>>
>> yum list available '*nx*
>>
>> gives me only
>>yum list available '*nx*'
>> Setting up repositories
>>Reading repository metadata in from local files
>>Available Packages
>>lynx.x86_64 2.8.5-18.2
>> base
>>
>> Question: How, by using yum, can I install i386-packages or noarch-packages
>> on a x86_64 centos? Any help appreciated.
>
> The exact same way you install any other package.  If i386 or noarch packages
> are available, they will be listed.  In this case, none matched your search,
> the most likely cause is that you don't have the extras repository enabled.
>
> This is why doing a quick google search or list archive search is always
> suggested, as this question (the nx portion) was answered for someone else by
> Karanbir less than two hours before you posted this.

I did it (i'm not a LINUX newcomer). See below!!!   ;-)

> See http://wiki.centos.org/FreeNX (Karanbir's suggestion).

Hi Kevan, I do not agree with you. I did a fresh CentOS install.
Please have a look at

	http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

On this page you will find:

-------------------------------------- snip ---------------------------------------------------
CentOS Extras - This repository is for items that provide additional functionality to CentOS
without breaking upstream compatibility or updating base components. The CentOS development team
has tested every item in this repository, and they build and work under CentOS-4. They have not
been tested by the upstream provider, and are not available in the upstream products. This
repository is shipped with CentOS, and is enabled by default.

The last line says: then CentOS extras repository is enabled by default.

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],