[CentOS] Switching from Vesa driver to video adapter driver fails

Edward Diener

eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Fri Jan 12 17:52:59 UTC 2007

The Vesa driver works fine with CentOS 4.4. I have an NVidia 6200 video
adapter. I go to Applications | System Settings | Display | Hardware tab
and find my video adapter in the list and set it. The dialog tells me I
have to log out for it to take effect, so I duly do that. I then getting
a message from a non-graphics screen saying that the attempt to switch
to the video adapter failed. When I view why, amidst all the information
given is the messages:

(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
No screens found

I am able to switch back to the Vesa driver through the non-graphics
screen, and this brings me back to my graphics login and I am once again
successfully in CentOS 4.4 using the Vesa driver.

Does anybody have any idea what the messages above mean or how I can
correct it so it can successfully load my video adapter specific settings ?

The NVidia 6200 is definitely on the Hardware tab menu, that is my video
adapter, and I have the latest Xorg updates for CentOS 4.4.