[CentOS] slow system

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 06:08:45 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
>>> great thanks - am I right in thinking that having both mirrored drives
>>> on the same controller master/slave is likely a cause of slowness?
>> It will make some difference on writes, but reads should only
>> be done on one of the drives anyway.  I doubt if it makes a huge
>> difference unless you have an application writing all the time.
> ----
> here's my problem - system was ok and mother board died. Purchased a new
> motherboard and this is what I get...
>
> # hdparm -t /dev/md1
>
> /dev/md1:
>  Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.68 seconds =   1.09 MB/sec
>
> which is dreadfully slow

That's worse than slow.  Something is broken.  Do the drives perform
better if you test /dev/hda or /dev/hdb?   What does dmesg say
about them - does it mention UDMA(100) or better?  Are you using
a new-style 80-wire cable?  It might be worth buying an IDE
controller card if the on-board one won't do better than that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com