[CentOS] Re: Switching from Vesa driver to video adapter driver fails

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Sat Jan 13 15:36:54 UTC 2007

Ted Miller wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> The Vesa driver works fine with CentOS 4.4. I have an NVidia 6200
>> video adapter. I go to Applications | System Settings | Display |
>> Hardware tab and find my video adapter in the list and set it. The
>> dialog tells me I have to log out for it to take effect, so I duly do
>> that. I then getting a message from a non-graphics screen saying that
>> the attempt to switch to the video adapter failed.
> [snip]
>
> Use the vesa driver or use the proprietary nvidia driver.  The nv driver
> from xorg (or at least the version(s) supplies with Centos 4 do not
> support my 6200 card.  No amount of fiddling made any difference.  The
> proprietary driver supports it very nicely (if your computing philosophy
> allows you to use  it).

My computing philosophy certainly allows me to use it. I view the GPL,
all offshoots of it, and everyone involved with the mess it has created,
as just a very small part of the next generation of petty dictators,
read "idiots" or in Alexander Pope's still relevant terminology
"dunces", in the world.

By proprietary driver do you mean the one on NVidia's web site ? If not,
could you post a link I can use to get the correct NVidia driver for the
6200 card which works with CentOS 4.4. Thanks !