[CentOS] Re: WinXP don't boot

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jan 16 17:03:28 UTC 2007

Jordi Espasa Clofent spake the following on 1/16/2007 2:38 AM:
>> Try:
>> 	title Windows XP
>> 		map (hd0) (hd1)
>> 		map (hd1) (hd0)
>> 		rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>> 		chainloader +1
>>
>> Works for me.
>
> Also for me. It was the solution, but I don't understant exactly why.
>
> According the GRUB manual and RHEL knowledge database article
> (http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_43_4053.shtm):
>
> " The next two lines /map (hd1) (hd0), map (hd0) (hd1)/ use the disk
> swapping technique, because that O/S cannot boot from any disks but the
> first one. This performs a "virtual" swap between your first and second
> hard drive."

Windows and linux look at drive order differently.
You have a /dev/sda and a /dev/hdb. Even though /dev/hdb is on a slave,
/dev/sda is either a scsi drive or sata. Your windows system looks at the ide
drive as the first drive.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and