[CentOS] Disk Elevator

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Jan 16 17:41:26 UTC 2007

Oh, and the read-aheads set by blockdev, they tend to be inherited by
the block device driver using that device as it's backing device.

When sdX is created it defaults to 256 sectors, when partitions are
mapped they have 256 sectors, when MD associates with the drive or it's
partitions it uses the 256 read-ahead, when LVM comes on top it uses the
MD 256 read-ahead, this is then passed up to the VFS routines that use
this to determine the amount of read-ahead to do. Since VFS associates
only with it's immediate backing device, setting the read-ahead at a
lower backing device has no effect, set it on the immediate backing
device, in this case LVM.