[CentOS] Ultra simple mail server config?

Dave

dave4674p at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 15:19:23 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am hoping you folks on the list could advise me on
this...

Can anyone point me towards a HOW-TO that describes
how to transform a normal CentOS install into a very
basic POP3/IMAP/SMTP email server?

Our current ISP where we host ~15 domains and ~25+
email accounts has a mandatory incoming "auto-discard"
spam filter that is far too strict to continue using.

Unfortunately, switching ISPs is not an option right
now.

I am looking at signing up for a basic low-memory
CentOS "Virtual Dedicated Server" to  handle our own
incoming (& outgoing) mail.

There will not be a full-time IT person to maintain
the server, so simplicity is a must.

I am perfectly fine with leaving out complex
server-side spam filtering, though I suspect that some
basic blacklist usage would be a good idea.

Most specifically, I don't want to add the security
liability  and maintenance requirements of a typical
"default" server. (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Bind, etc.)

Basically, I want an ultra-basic server that I can set
for automatic updates and let it continue running
"hands-off" until CentOS 4 is no longer supported with
security patches.

Does such a HOW-TO exist?

If not, and there are experts here willing to help
out, I would be happy to write up my experience.

Thank you for reading,
David