[CentOS] Centos 4.4 install on ASUS A8V-VM does not findSATAdrives

Don Levey centos at the-leveys.us
Wed Jan 17 16:40:54 UTC 2007

That may be the way to go.  I'm working on getting a DVD for FC6 x86_64 so
we'll see how that goes.  In the meantime, this link:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
has *some* (but not a lot) of info on the VIA8251 in particular; there is a
wealth of info on SATA on Linux in general.  In short, it presents three
possible workarounds:

1. Switch the motherboard BIOS back to "legacy ATA mode" (parallel ATA =
PATA). Complete a Linux installation. Fetch or build a kernel with support
for your chipset. Switch the BIOS setting back. (Potential catch: It's
claimed that Dell Optiplex GX270 and Dell Precision Workstation 360 desktop
units, using Intel ICH5 SATA-I chipsets, don't support switching to legacy
ATA mode. This might be true of some others.)

2. Rebuild your installer using kernel 2.4.27 or later, which includes
libata, desirable since it adds many new chipsets and gives a (potential,
subject to physical read limits, etc.) ~10M/s speed boost to some others
compared to the quite slow 2.4.x drivers/ide set.

3. Temporarily add a regular PATA drive to your system. Install Linux onto
that. Fetch or build a kernel with support for your chipset. Migrate your
system to the SATA drives.

The first doesn't seem to be an option in terms of switching the SATA
interfaces to PATA mode.  The drives themselves are SATA, of course, so I
can't just plug them into the PATA interfaces on the boards.

The second is a little outdated, since CentOS uses a 2.6 kernel and seems to
have SATA/libata capability.

The third is a possiblity, if I can find a kernel within the CentOS/RedHat
umbrella that will support the chipset.  I know I can build or find one on
my own, but don't want to have to rebuild each time a new
kernel/enhancement/vulnerability comes out.

 -Don