[CentOS] Changing the contents of installation cd so as to include a new kernel

Janice D'Sa

dsajanice at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jan 18 07:52:34 UTC 2007

 Hi,
I have CentOS 4.4 with me. I want to change the
default kernel during installation, from 2.6.9 to
2.6.15. I got myself a copy of vmlinuz and initrd.img
from the RHEL AS 4.0 installation cd and copied it as
vmlinuz-rhel and initrd-rhel.img respectively into the
isolinux folder on the CentOS cd. I changed
isolinux.cfg so that it would boot into my kernel. I
then made a fresh new ISO and tried to boot off it.
However, when I boot I get the following error "Cannot
find kernel image: vmlinuz-rhel".
I cant figure out where the boot loader is looking for
vmlinuz and initrd (besides the islinux directory) and
if there are any other norms that Im not sticking too.

Thanks,
Janice.