[CentOS] Apache 2.2 under CentOS?

Peter Serwe peter at infostreet.com
Thu Jan 18 21:16:23 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 19:00 -0800, Peter Serwe wrote:
>
> That is because that is what CentOS-4 was released with ... and we don't
> want everyone who has custom modules to go through what you did because
> we pushed an update :P
>
> The way an enterprise distro works is pretty much all the major apps get
> bug fixes and security updates only after release ... but they do not
> move up to newer MAJOR versions.  This is true throughout the lifetime
> of the distro.  It is _especially_ true for server apps.
>
> Can you imagine the pissed-offedness IF you do an update for httpd and
> none of your custom modules worked ... and then imagine you had hired
> someone and paid $500,000.00 to have them designed, and you did not have
> anyone in house to fix them :P
>
> Instead, an enterprise distro will backport bug fixes and security
> updates.  See this link:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

That $500K custom module issue is exactly why the system has stayed running
under crusty old RH9 for the last 8 years.  The in-house C talent we had
when it
was written is long gone, and the three of us working on this project
over the last
month are *not* C developers, we're just faking it.  Truth be told, I'm
not even
faking it, I pretty much dumped onto the two guys who have 'Developer'
as part
of their job title.  While we technically *don't* have the in-house
talent to fix them,
somehow, we managed to pull this one out of our
<insert_euphemism_for_that_place_here>'s.

I'll have to take a peek at that url, and pass the link along.

> Very significant obstacles ... everything needs to be recompiled to use
> the new version. And even then, it breaks things.  It is possible, if
> you rebuild enough stuff. However ... once you rebuild all that, might
> as well be using Fedora Core.  Especially since you need to keep
> rebuilding it every update.

Glad to hear my gut is still fully functional, I basically said as much
in a meeting
with the guys yesterday at lunch, mostly I had to send a mail out to you
guys just
to make absolutely sure I wasn't ASSuming too much.  I'm no more immune to
that reflex than anyone else.

 :)

> RHEL-5b2 does contain httpd-2.2, so CentOS-5 will as well when released.

Glad to hear it :)  We'll look at it more when CentOS-5 gets released,
and maybe talk
to you guys about playing with the beta if we can be of some assistance,
and get a jump
on our port.

Thanks much Johnny,

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss