[CentOS] internet wireless network requirements

Peter Serwe peter at infostreet.com
Thu Jan 18 22:32:53 UTC 2007

If I recall correctly, dlink has a couple of cards with bigger antenna's
for
send/receive power, that are on an external cable.  They also have a
relatively
cool wireless repeater you can use to extend the range of your wireless
network
that either works with a wall-wart or PoE.

As far as what you're going to need in your specific installation, it really
depends highly on the composition of the floor/walls.  Concrete/steel likes
to block wireless *really* seriously.  In extreme cases, I'd put a repeater
on the top floor, one in the stairwell, and another on your floor, halfway
in between you and the stairwell.

There are a lot more expensive higher-end range solutions as well.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss