[CentOS] wireless card for CentOS

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 21 22:12:33 UTC 2007

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'll need to buy a new wireless card.  I need a recommendation for
>>> PCMCIA wireless card that simply works with CentOS out of the box.
>>>
>>> By "works out of the box", I mean that it doesn't need ndis wrapper
>>> (or whatever it is called), kernel hacks, or whatever.
>> http://www.answers.com/topic/comparison-of-open-source-wireless-drivers
>> http://seattlewireless.net/HardwareComparison
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Open_Source_Wireless_Drivers
>
> Thanks for the links.
>
> So I guess Cisco or some (older) prism54 based card are my best bets?  I

_I_ would go for Atheros and either download the source (it's small) and
build (doesn't take long) the driver, or download an rpm (I would expect
to find one at rpmforge).

Whatever you do, you need some time for testing before you embark on
your adventures.

btw The orinoco cards can use an external antenna.

These people can probably sell you all you want:
http://www.techtopia.com.au/index.php
Note, they're located in Perth, Western Australia, prices are in
Australian Dollars. They can also (I think) advise on Linux
compatibility, and compatibility with your laptop if you prefer internal
wireless.

I've just changed my mind, if 11b is enough I'd go with their Orinoco
card and pigtail. The pigtail adapts you the connector on the card to
the connector on your antenna cable. They can sell you the lot.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait