[CentOS] Raw print queues in CentOS 4.4

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 22 22:23:08 UTC 2007

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a raw print queue configured in CentOS 4.4 for a printer
> connected to a Windows PC.  The printer doesn't have a Linux driver of
> any sort, so this was the only way to print to it.

Umm. That means that the applications have to have a driver for the printer.

> The printer is an Okidata dot matrix printer.  Users can print to it
> from a console application, but if they try printing to it from OOo
> Writer, the printer spits out reams of pages with what looks like
> postscript code.  The very first page has a line that says "%!
> PS-Adobe-3.0".

So OOo thinks it's printing to a postscript printer. This is not going
to work unless the Windows peecee translates postscript to whatever the
printer expects.

> Even though the print queue is configured as "raw", why are OOo Writer
> print jobs still sent as postscript documents?  I'm don't know too much
> about printing, postscript, etc., so I don't know if this is normal or
> if something broke.

Something broke; the problem is there right behind your eyes:-)

If you don't have a Linux printer driver for that printer, you're not
going to get far unless something on Windows does the translation.

Check IBM's Omni driver suite (which should be installed or on your
install media), there may be something usable there.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait