[CentOS] System hangs at "Rebooting System" on VIA KM400 chipsets

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Wed Jan 24 03:18:14 UTC 2007

Dunno, but I'd be messing around with the BIOS. Usually there's something
there that you have to tweak. Turn stuff on/off that looks right. Look for
stuff about turning on/off power management, apci, etc.

(Obvious: don't mess with CPU speed, clock speed, HDD settings, etc)

-Ben

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 17:02, nethub at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a number of systems running KM400 chipsets from VIA (Socket
> A/462).  Two different models have produced the same results -- DFI
> KM400-MLV and MSI KM4M-V.  When a /sbin/reboot or /sbin/shutdown -r now
> is issued, the system does everything you would expect from a reboot,
> but when it gets to Rebooting System, it hangs and requires a power cycle.
>
> The logs do not indicate anything is going wrong.  It's not a kernel
> panic.  I've tried appending "acpi=off noapic" or just "apci=off" to
> grub.conf and neither help.  We've tested these boards extensively with
> various CPU's, hard drives, and RAM and they show no other issues, so
> it's not hardware defects or hardware compatibility issues.
>
> I'm not sure what is going on, but assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978