[CentOS] UFS (Unix File System) support

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakheshster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 07:41:22 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> > I need to mount a UFS (Unix File System) partition from an external
> > device (ie, live cd).
> > I've seen the kernel-2.6.x-x.x.x.xxx.plus.c4 has UFS support and I've
> > several questions about:
> >

> the problem with UFS, each implementation (solaris, freebsd, openbsd,
> etc) has itso won proprietary extesions.  the optional UFS support in
> Linux is strictyl readonly, largely t get around these problems.

Yup! And from dabbling around the various BSDs a while ago, I can
second that. Even the various BSDs can't even read each other's
partitions properly!

Things used to be better earlier. That time the 44bsd (I think that's
the option) used to work for mounting all the BSD partitions
read-write. But after a while they all began making enhancements to
UFS and so there's many variants now. Heck, the only Unix like file
system that I found can actually be shared between all the BSDs is
ext2! :)

I don't know if the default CentOS kernel has UFS support. A place I
would check is the kernel config file. That's usually store in /boot,
and I'd check if that file has any UFS options turned on.

Hope this helps somehow ...

Thanks,
Rakhesh