[CentOS] centos 3.3 to 4.x?

Peter Serwe

peter at infostreet.com
Thu Jan 4 18:22:15 UTC 2007

Will McDonald wrote:
> We went from various RH9 and earlier and FC3 and earlier builds
> straight to WBEL/CentOS 4 and in every case backed-up, rebuilt the box
> from scratch then pieced configs back together as much as possible in
> keeping with OS defaults, trying to fit in to the RHEL way.
>
> I think I recall from previous similar threads that people *have*
> upgraded from 3 to 4 but the general concensus was that if you can,
> you should rebuild from scratch.
>
> The main benefit being any configuration gotchas will be apparent
> straight away as you're configuring each specific aspect of your/their
> system.
>
> Will.
I just spent 2-3 weeks migrating our application to CentOS 4.4 from RH9.

We had all kinds of fun stuff to deal with, like porting a newer version
of yum
(and all it's dependencies except sqllite :P) to support our custom RPM
of python24, and
we're still doing a little bit of work porting 4 custom apache modules
to the 2.0 API because
glibc23 doesn't play nice with apache 1.3.xx, and there's a host of
custom RPMS
(about 90) that we had to rebuild to play nicely with CentOS 4.4, but
all in all, it went
pretty smooth.

Attempt to do this in place on a live system?  Now that's plain crazy.
The only OS I know
of that does an in-place upgrade for a major version number is FreeBSD
via cvsup, and it's
not all that hairy, but you may have to recompile your few non-stock
components.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>
http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown