[CentOS] Re: Freeing pv space for snapshots

Scott Silva

ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jan 5 19:25:07 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes spake the following on 1/5/2007 11:13 AM:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:03 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> But how do I mount it when booted up on CD when it's burried somewhere in
>>> the LVM on hda2?
>> Boot normally, stop everything that uses it, unmount it.
>>
>> If it's something you can't unmount (/, /usr, /var and alike), boot into
>> rescue mode from CD.  When prompted, let Anaconda find your existing
>> CentOS installation.  It will than create all devices and mount all file
>> systems under /mnt/sysimage.  Simply unmount what you need to unmount.
>> Note, if you want to unmount root (and only if you want to unmount root)
>> which is /mnt/sysimage, you'll need to unmount all filesystems under it
>> first.  As well as some stuff not shown as mounted by df command (not
>> sure about exact list, try unmounting /mnt/sysimage/proc,
>> /mnt/sysimage/sys, /mnt/sysimage/dev).
>
> Right, if you can't unmount there are several options ... we have a
> rescue mode on CD-1, the DVD, or the Single Server CD ... also we have
> the live CD.
>
> The OS you boot to needs LVM2 and all the EXT3 tools ... personally I
> recommend the LiveCD ... that was one of it's main purposes.  It is much
> more full featured than the rescue mode on the other CDs.
What would be nice, if it already isn't in the live cd, would be a command or
binary to look for and mount the existing installations like the rescue mode
does. If this is already there, then pardon me, as I haven't seen it.
A lot of us know how to walk through and do this, but many people do not.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and