[CentOS] 5-beta or 4.4 for a new user?

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 8 22:00:09 UTC 2007

Patrick Useldinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a Slackware user who's interested in learning CentOS. At this point
>  it is for intellectual curiosity only and not for any real work so the
> machine need not be 100% stable at this point. It's most probably going
> to be an installation into VMWare.
>
> Given that, I thought I'd wait for 5-beta (mid-Jan'07) and start with that.
>
> Will it be possible to upgrade from 5-beta to 5.0?
As Red Hat would say, "it's not supported, but it might work."

> Or would you advise me to start with 4.4?

You can download the RHEL5 beta from ftp.redhat.com or you can register
for a complimentary evaluation and get the beta and support channels.
Find the announcements for better information re the evaluation  version.

You could also start with Fedora Core 6 which is the base for RHEL5.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait