[CentOS] yum does not download i386 packages on x86_64 Hardware from the centos-4.4 extras repo

Kevan Benson

kbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Jan 11 19:34:24 UTC 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 02:20, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed centos-4.4 on x86_64, and I wanted to install nx and freenx
> from the centos extras. But
>
>         yum list available '*nx*
>
> gives me only
>
>         yum list available '*nx*'
>         Setting up repositories
>         Reading repository metadata in from local files
>         Available Packages
>         lynx.x86_64                              2.8.5-18.2
> base
>
> Question: How, by using yum, can I install i386-packages or noarch-packages
> on a x86_64 centos? Any help appreciated.

The exact same way you install any other package.  If i386 or noarch packages
are available, they will be listed.  In this case, none matched your search,
the most likely cause is that you don't have the extras repository enabled.

This is why doing a quick google search or list archive search is always
suggested, as this question (the nx portion) was answered for someone else by
Karanbir less than two hours before you posted this.

See http://wiki.centos.org/FreeNX (Karanbir's suggestion).

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks