[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4.4 on mini-itx

Tom Diehl

tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Jan 12 21:15:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Jim Perrin wrote:

>> I have a EPIA mini-itx board that I have been running Fedora 4 on. I want
>> install CentOS 4.4 on it since FC4 is no longer supported. The install goes
>> fine
>> but when I reboot the machine after the install I get errors like the
>> following:
>
> The via c3 boards require that you install and run the i586 kernel
> (because for some ungodly reason compatibility wasn't in via's focus)
> and you'll also need to disable the cpuspeed service, as it's enabled
> by default, and will fail on the via processor causing a kernel panic.

I installed the i586 kernel, disabled cpuspeed and rebooted the machine. No
change. I am still getting the errors. The good news is the kernel panic only
seems to occur randomly. Most of the time the machine hangs for a few minutes
spews some errors and then continues to boot up normally.

My question now becomes is how do I force an i586 installation? The installer
detects and installs i686 including glibc and the kernel. I found one document
that says to pass i586 at boot time but I am still getting the i686 kernel
and glibc.

I looked to google for advice but so far I cannot find anything that helps. If
someone has a pointer to a good doc for this kind of thing I would appreciate
a pointer.

Of course any other suggestions on how to get this working, would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com