[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4.4 on mini-itx

Tom Diehl

tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Jan 14 06:14:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Daniel de Kok wrote:

> On Fri, January 12, 2007 5:09 pm, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> The via c3 boards require that you install and run the i586 kernel
>> (because for some ungodly reason compatability wasn't in via's focus)
>
> No, actually, it's a gcc bug. The C3 doesn't support the CMOV instruction,
> which is ok according to Intel documentation, and software should check
> whether this instruction is available. gcc implicitly expects every 686 to
> have this instruction.
>
> To add up to the confusion, on later VIA CPUs (those with a C5P core and
> later), you'll actually want to use 686 to initialize the SSE pipeline,
> which is necessary to make use of the xcrypt instructions (which will
> otherwise be invalid opcodes).

So is there a way to work around the bug?? Running the i586 kernel does not
make the errors go away. The thing I do not understand is, why sometimes the
kernel panics and other times the machine comes up and plays after spending
several minutes spewing errors.

dmesg output is available here: http://www.tntechs.com/tntechs/hepa-dmesg.txt
if anyone is interested in looking at it.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com