[CentOS] Firewalling SMTP

Don Knott

dknott123 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 14:08:38 UTC 2007

Hello-

If you firewall smtp to only accept connections from your 3 internal hosts,
you won't get any inbound email from outside since external hosts can't
reach the smtp server. Outbound mail will work ok from that server or the 3
firewall allowed internal hosts.

POP is for retrieving email from the server.

If your goal is to have the CentOS box serve as a mail gateway for inbound &
outbound email, you'd use /etc/mail/access to control how sendmail handles
connections from hosts. In that file you'd give your 3 internal hosts
permission to relay mail through that server.