[CentOS] Server Install Eth0 & Eth1 not working

Johnny Hughes

Mon Jan 15 22:59:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 17:42 -0500, Nielsen, Steve wrote:
> On 2950s the eth devices are assigned their number in the wrong order:
>
> Gb1 becomes eth1 (should be eth0)
> Gb2 becomes eth0 (should be eth1)
>
> Dell posted software that provides a way for the Linux kernel to name
> the interfaces correctly.
>
> Here is a link to the white paper:
> http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v3.pdf
>
> Steve

There are many issues on the lists.dell.com concerning the broadcom
cards. As an example:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2004-October/thread.html#16951

I just checked all my dell servers (I have many) ... but most seem to have intel gigbit NICs.

"Intel Corporation 82541GI/PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller" on most.

Well ... I have this on one machine and it seems to be working OK:

"Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express"

If you use these search terms on google, you will see many issues with broadcom cards on RHEL:

"site:http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/ tg3"