[CentOS] Centos 4.4 install on ASUS A8V-VM does not find SATA drives

William Warren

hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Tue Jan 16 23:51:23 UTC 2007

Where does it hang at?

Don Levey wrote:
> Yes, I know someone last week asked a similar question (Problem with ASUS
> P5VD2-X X SATA II) but the only answer I saw on that thread was the
> equivalent of "I've heard it's bad so I won't do it."  Unfortunately, that
> doesn't help me much.
>
> The BIOS does indeed recognise my two SATA hard drives, and I've got the
> BIOS set to "IDE" (which disables "hardware" RAID but not the SATA but
> itself).  The install routine for Centos, however, does not seem to
> recognise that the drives are there (or even that the VIA bridge exists via
> auto search); if I try to manually select it I'm told it found a VIA
> VT86c100A Rhine-II PCI (via-rhine).  Setting to AHCI does not seem to have
> an effect.  I was hoping to use software RAID, and so didn't want to enable
> RAID on the motherboard.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to either nudge the installation,
> or configure the hardware, to find the SATA drives so I can configure RAID?
> This is a NEW install on new drives, so it's not as if I've got an existing
> configuration I'm trying to augment.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>  -Don

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099